Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Thinking of diapers

I find myself often thinking about my daughter's cloth diapers. Do I need to wash them (the answer is always yes)? I should have made this batch with a even longer rise. What is really the best soaker material? Bulky vs. less absorbent. Halloween ones would be cute... am I really thinking this much about diapers... jeez some life I have. Actually it is a great one.

When I decided to cloth diaper (cd) my daughter in the middle of the night when she was 2 weeks old. I thought I was a little crazy. I brought the idea up to my husband and he was game, but he had the same questions I had. How to launder them... mainly! Now everyone thinks I am crazy. Not because of the cost effective, environmentally friendly choice we have made... no it is because I talk about them none stop!

Why we decided to cd because at 2 weeks old I had already gone through 2 packages of diapers. At $10 a package yikes! Also, I cringed every time I threw a diaper away, knowing it was headed for the land fill never to decompose! I am the recycle Nazi and those were just going to the dump. At least New Jersey is using their methane to power towns.

After much research I was still confused and amazed at the options out there. There are so many great resources but not a single easy answer. Luckily I had a few friends that helped point me in the right direction and now we have made our own CD journey. Now that we have been cding for 2 1/2 months and I have made 2 sets on my own cloth diapers I have lots of opinions. So I figured I'd throw them out there and when my daughter is older she can laugh at her crazy mom. Luckily my older daughter is young enough that everything I do is still cool.

No comments: